[C320-list] Whisker Pole Length

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 13:11:57 PST 2008

No photos, sorry. She's under wraps now. Preventer is used for the main.

Since it is not recommended attaching a preventer mid-boom, I followed
mfgr.'s recommendation and attached a pendant of twisted nylon to the end of
the mast with a thimble spliced into the working end. The length is enough
to bring the thimble over the deck when the boom is well overboard. I use a
bungee attached to the main sheet thingy to secure the pendant when not in
use. This makes it quite easy underway with the boom outboard to unhook the
pendant attach the preventer line and secure the preventer.

I accept the risk of starting a whole thread on how to attach/run the
preventer as I've not yet found the ideal method. Typically, I use a block
attached to the anchor roller to turn the preventer bringing it back to the
cockpit. It's faster and safer if you can control it from the cockpit. Yet,
I welcome any and all ideas on how to do it better. When not in use, the
block is pulled out of the way with a bit of light bungee tied to a vertical
on the pulpit. I don't bother to untie this, just slide it down the pulpit
to free the block for use.  Yes, it is necessary to unhook the preventer
line and run around the mast when after gybing. What price safety?

My pole is two part telescopic with 2" aluminum tubing. It's an old dude I
bought off the internet when I had a C25. It was a major reason for
upgrading to the C320. I had to protect my investment in the pole, all $150
of it. Don't think I could manage a fixed pole of 10 or 12'

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay