[C320-list] Downwind Preventer - was Whisker Pole Length

Mon Dec 15 18:57:45 PST 2008

Karl, thanks for that...I like the personal answer from him..
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: "Karl Mielenhausen _/)" [c320 at suddenlink.net]
Sent: 12/15/2008 09:45 PM EST
To: C320-List at catalina320.com
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Downwind Preventer - was Whisker Pole Length

-------------- next part --------------
You might be interested in Brion Toss' thoughts....

Your original question:
Hello.

Members of our Catalina 320 Association are currently debating the correct
method of boom preventer attachment. Should it be attached at the end of
the boom or is a mid-boom attachment acceptable. Some of us believe the
end boom attachment is most important for up/down loads while side loads
can be handled OK at a mid-boom attachment point. Your thoughts?

Our expert's answer:
Both, sort of. Those of you in favor of end-boom attachment have
engineering on your side, as you'll have a maximum lever arm working for
you, so you won't need any mechanical advantage. You'll also be avoiding
pulling sideways on an unsupported tube, so you're unlikely to fold the
boom in half should you happen to stuff said boom into a swell. It happens.
But it can be a bother to set up to the boom end, especially if you are
already off the wind when you think of it. So at least inshore a mid-boom
preventer is acceptable. Just.
HOWEVER,arguing in favor of the forward connection because it controls
vertical boom travel is, to my mind, a really poor argument, as it seeks
to conflate the functions of vang and preventer. This generally leads
either to overvanging or underpreventing; I much prefer to have separate
tools for separate jobs.
We always install end-boom preventers in our shop, using a system with
short pieces that live permanently on the boom, and long ones that can be
brough onto deck. This system can be struck or set on any point of sail.
And speaking of sail, Sail Magazine recently had a very nice article on
preventers. You might want to look that up.
Fair leads,
Brion Toss

Regards,
Karl Mielenhausen