[C320-list] Perkins wear & lifespan

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 20:03:11 PST 2008

Bernie-See my note of today on crankcase vents.  An additional thing I
noticed in my Yanmar factory service manual is that the breather located in
the valve cover has a few twists and turns and baffles.  This keeps
lubricating oil that lubricates the rocker arms in the valve cover from
being diverted through the breather which connects to the intake manifold by
a rubber hose.  There are drain holes in the breather that allow any
accumulated oil to drain back into the valve cover and eventually back into
the lubricating oil circuit.

Maybe Perkins has a similar design and one of the drain holes in the
breather is plugged or partially preventing lubricating oil from draining
back into the crankcase and instead going into the intake manifold.  That
may be the cause of the oily film in your intake manifold.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894