[C320-list] flat screen LCD

John Frost john at frostnet.net
Mon Feb 18 06:36:01 PST 2008

Sig

At risk of revealing my cruising versus racing bent, I'll give you my
thoughts. I am still outfitting my MKII and had the same question. You have
several choices to include three bulkheads and under either side combing. To
avoid the back of heads bumping into the tv, we chose to mount over the new
hanging locker on the port bulkhead, similar to Stan but higher. This won't
allow a monster size, but it is completely out of the way and is simple to
wire back to home base. To pick the actual unit, I took the exact dimensions
to all my local stores and climbed in back of the units to find the ones
that had an external power supply, AKA "wall wart". These allow you to use
12 volts DC without using an inverter by simply splicing into the power
supply cable. (Funny, no one at the stores knew that)Out of the dozens that
I examined, I found one that exactly fit the space, ran on 12v and had a DVD
internal. It was a Panasonic. It also will take computer input and play from
memory cards/sticks.

Next came the mount. I ended up buying 5 or 6 candidates and taking them all
to the boat. One stood out as obviously more robust and flatter so it
stayed. Some had advised us to mount directly on the bulkhead to avoid
flopping on a tack, but we found most of the screens we looked at completely
washed out if viewed from below the horizontal. The mount we went with
allows pulling the unit close to the seating positions for that "big screen
feeling" and then firmly stows.

Lastly, I am now wiring the sound output into my stereo to make Jimmy Buffet
DVDs sound like he is there.

Now, back to the moving thru the water with gusto stuff.

John Frost
2007 C320 MKII, Hull # 1118
Lake Guntesville, AL