[C320-list] Xantrex shore charger

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sun Feb 10 16:18:19 PST 2008

Hi,

Just as a word of advise.  If you're adding ANY fusing (*especially*
breakers) in-line between the alternator output and battery, you'd be well
advised to install a ZapStop across the alternator + and - terminals.
Breakers can easily be fooled or accidentally tripped which will, without a
doubt, destroy the diodes in your alternator if it happens while the
alternator is under any load (which is why fuses are preferred there).

Reason being is that if the circuit to the battery is interrupted while the
alternator is under load, the magnetic field collapse will cause a huge
momentary voltage spike. The rectifier diodes are meant to deal with 10-20v
at high current, but can't tolerate the 100+volt spike that gets created
when a breaker trips (or fuse blows).

The ZapStop (or equivalent) is usually just a Zener diode that acts like a
spillway to short circuit any damaging voltage spike.  Similar in concept to
lightening surge protectors in household power strips.

A fuse-blow/breaker-trip is equivalent to turning the battery switch to Off
while the alternator is under load.  I have my batteries safety fused with a
250Amp ground terminal fuse that covers any serious charging system failure
including shore power/alternator failure.

Cheers!
-Jeff

PS: Even if you have an upgraded alternator with an external regulator, this
is still just as important.