[C320-list] Battery Charging

crashley at gte.net crashley at gte.net
Mon Feb 11 22:16:59 PST 2008

Warren,

Thanks for the input. The batteries are in great shape since I just got 2
brand new 4D AGM batteries connected as a 400 AHr house battery and want to
make sure I'm not abusing them. The old flooded ones were only about 5+
years old and one of them had cell go bad. Maybe I could have recovered it
but I hated having to add water anyway. I had those on float charge
continously for about 3.5 years off and on as described below.

I've heard people say that you should NOT keep batteries on float charge but
the literature seems to indicate otherwise for long term (i.e., weeks at a
time) storage. I use the boat quite regularly so they will go off the
charger for those periods. I would still like to know more about the alleged
Pro Mariner problem. I want to get an inverter anyway so I'm thinking about
going for a Xantrex Freedom 2000 inverter/charger at some point.

CRA
Rosebud #882