[C320-list] Fuses at the 3rd Battery

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Fri Feb 15 14:50:06 PST 2008

I believe he's referring to a fuse on the charging line leading from the
charger to the battery.  That way if the charger develops a short the fuse
will blow.

As you suspected, you would really not want a fuse in line with the starter.
That cable should be bolted in place at both ends and we "expect" them to
stay bolted in place or bad things are guaranteed to happen.  :)

I mentioned earlier, if you really want to protect the battery and all the
load circuit wiring from all grossly abnormal loads, get a large 250 Amp
terminal block Fuse.  Lead a jumper from the GROUND of your battery bank
through this fuse and then connect any ground return cables the other side
of the fuse.

This is, surprisingly, safer and much easier than trying to Fuse the
positive side of the battery (given all the things that tend to tap into the
battery positive side). Electricians tend to Look for a Ground anywhere they
can, but are strangely more particular about where they source their power
from.

-Jeff

PS:  As an interesting side note,  I was working on a boat a year or so ago
that had some really bizarre electrical system quirks.  You'd key the mic on
the VHF or Sideband and the chart plotter would reset.

What was happening was that the P/O was careful to feed properly sized +12v
lines from the battery, but just jumpered over to whatever Ground connection
was close to the area, assuming that they all lead back to the same place.
Well, they did.  Just that in one place, they all funneled through a short
8" section of 14 gauge wire.  Apparently an old power hungry piece of
equipment got removed, along with its hefty power and ground wires.  But
that ground had begun serving as the load return for a bunch of other things
added over the years.

Moral of the story:  If you have to add a wire to power something, be sure
to provide at least the same gauge of wire back to a PROPER ground bus, not
just a place that looks like ground to your volt meter.