[C320-list] Fuses at the 3rd Battery

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Fri Feb 15 17:26:43 PST 2008

Jon's right, but you don't want fuses in the circuit between the battery and
the starter.  They wouldn't function as intended.

Starter can draw more current than that wire can sustain except for short
engine starting durations.  Feel it after some extended cranking and it'll
be warm.  That happens in just a minute of cranking.  So to keep the fuse
from blowing in normal conditions, you'd need a fuse that allows more than
the starter should draw.  A short that permitted that kind of current flow
might not pop the fuse, but could still damage and overheat the wire.  Can't
win there.  There's no fuse between your car battery and the starter either.
Same circuit.

-J