[C320-list] SS Clamp Failure

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Tue Jan 1 11:23:38 PST 2008

The 316 clamps tend to be labeled as such because they cost twice as
much (due, I suspect, to their high nickel content).    If it just says
"300" then it's probably "300 series" which could mean any one of the
marine grades of stainless steel but most likely is 304.  Unfortunately,
the two types often sit side by side in stores, with no clear guidance
for why some cost more than others for apparently identical clamps.