[C320-list] Funky fuel

james_delong james_delong at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 8 06:44:21 PST 2008

Fuel experts!

As a 35 year three man one-design sailor, I'm just learning the complexities of the 320!

The engine is becoming hard to start. I'm getting white smoke which I'm told is moisture burning off before it finally starts. I changed the filters and had a guy try to filter the fuel but he couldn't access the tank to pump it out with his equipment. The fuel is turning black.

He suggested I drain and dispose of the fuel, about 10 gallons remain I'm guessing, clean the tank and re-fill it. How do I do this? Is it really necessary or is there an alternative solution?

Sounds like a real chore. I'm also told I need to keep the tank full to reduce the moisture build up. We are in a highly humid area.

What solutions do y'all recommend to fix the problem and actions to take so I don't put myself in this fix again?

The boat is a 1997, hull #453.

Thanks!!!  Jim