[C320-list] C320-List Digest, Vol 571, Issue 1

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Mon Jan 7 10:45:06 PST 2008

You have to go a very long ways up the Potomac River to get to DC and
then reverse to get back to the Chesapeake to resume your trip north.
Plus the upper Potomac is not a great place for sailing, and the
waterfront in DC itself is not great.  And May is a great time for
sailing the Chesapeake proper and the Eastern Shore tributaries -- July
and August less so.  If it were me, I'd try to get a bit further north
so that you don't have to deal with the hot weather as much in
July/August.  And I'd plan to have the boat hauled and maybe have the
bottom painted rather than try to find a slip.  On-land storage and
maintenance rates tend to be pretty reasonable during the early summer
in the mid-Atlantic states, since that's when everyone who lives here
wants to be out sailing instead.

You will pay more in Annapolis or Baltimore than in less congested
spots, but will have better access to airports.  Bert Jabins yard in
Annapolis will take good care of your boat, and lots of services are
available.  But if you can find a way to solve the land-based
transportation problems, consider places like Solomons Island or Oxford,
which are probably a bit less expensive during those months, but still
have good yacht maintenance facilities.  Still further north, there are
good facilities on the Sassafras River, and you are then getting fairly
close to Wilmington, DE.

It's a shame you have to leave the boat in May since late May and early
June are some of the very nicest times to sail around here.

Scott Thompson