[C320-list] New Boat

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Mon Jan 7 16:27:24 PST 2008

Bob,

It appears that the 375's interior layout as well as its hull shape will be very different from the 387. I think people will be surprised and impressed with the new boat. Below are Gerry Douglas's comments from last October.

JeffC

Dear Catalina 36 listers,
It's been interesting to read the comments of 36 owners about our new model, the 375.
    Yes ,it is a new model not a Mark III 36. This is at the request of the dealer network and we must respect their opinions and give them what they need to be competitive.
 It seems that everyone who feels strongly about keeping the 36 in production already has one. Of course we would be delighted to keep building 36s for another 24 years and another 2305 hulls. It would be cost effective and require no new tooling.  If anybody is sentimental about the 36 it's me , it is the first boat I designed for Catalina , I owned one for 5 years , raced it ( very successfully ) and cruised it enjoyably.
  The 375 will have some of the best features of the 36 and some of the best features of the new models in the Catalina current line. Renderings of the 375 were presented to the Dealers in Annapolis and the reception was very positive, It's a pretty boat, sleek and has a great, symmetrical, somewhat traditional interior.
The cockpit is classic Catalina ( big ) The weather decks are wide , shrouds inboard, long genny tracks, etc. The 375 is 37'4" long , hull length, I just couldn't get everything in at 36 feet.
  I would encourage the 36 Association to consider including the 375 in the Association , new members are important to the long term well being of the Association and a new model will provide a steady stream of new members.
  I  have listened closely to 36 owners for many years and read your postings on the list regularly, I welcome your comments ( I am a little surprised at some of the comments about a boat you have not seen, what's that about? )
   We are acting in the best interest of the Company , Catalina Dealers and ultimately  Catalina Owners.
I look for ward to seeing you at a Boat Show in the future.
  Good sailing, Gerry Douglas