[C320-list] 1995 C320 Buyer Information Requested

Peter Clancy SAILORPETE at msn.com
Sat Jan 12 11:01:49 PST 2008

Joe ...... I owned 'AROBAN' for 8 years, a 1995 C320 hull #222. First, I believe it's essential to have a thorough survey done on the boat. The shallow bilge was never an issue with me as I switched to GFO packing which seldom dripped. Others have gone to the dripless shaft seals with good results. The key is to keep water from accumulating in the bilge and under the bilge tray. The boat probably has the Perkins diesel and was presumably used in salt water. I'd ask if the exhaust elbow had ever been replaced. I had to replace mine at 400 hours. Take a look at the refrigeration compressor unit in the port aft lazarette. Mine had rusted quite a bit but still worked fine.  I also had a blistering problem as Catalina had not yet started using vinylester resins in 1995. I repaired the blisters myself and applied an epoxy barrier coat which eliminated any recurrence. I never had a problem with the aqua lift muffler. Check for leaks around the chain plates which may need to be re-bedded. I don't think there's any issue especially unique to the C320 that a good surveyor wouldn't identify. Good luck. Your friend is getting a well-made, solid sailboat with pleasing performance.

Peter Clancy
'AROBAN' Hull #222 (former owner)
Miami, FL