[C320-list] Source of Leak

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Jan 15 19:50:56 PST 2008

This is ringing a bell here.

At the San Diego annual meeting, Lewmar came and gave a presentation on
these hatches and how to adjust the catches and tension on the different
versions.

There were a couple different styles of side-opening hatch.  If you look
from the outside at the "squarish" version of these hatches you'll see Black
joints in the aluminum frame.  One version of the hatch has a pair of black
horizontal rubber joints on the SIDES of the hatch frame, while others have
(I think?) a single vertical joint at the BOTTOM of the frame.

The Lewmar guy indicated that the hatches with the joints on the SIDES had a
tendency for the rubber to dry out and leak.  Problem is that it has no
where to go, so it pools inside the frame until it fills up enough to leak
out inside the boat.  Someone with a better memory might know for sure, but
I believe he said that that rubber gasket that seals these frame parts can
be replaced which will fix the leak.

I'll wager a bet that if your hatches are leaking but it doesn't appear to
be the glass/gasket seal leaking that it's that external rubber seal.

Call Lewmar Tech support. They already know all the tricks for
finding/fixing/adjusting these hatches.

Dick Walker can give you the name/number of the tech rep that came and did
that fantastic seminar for us.

Cheers!
-Jeff