[C320-list] Source of Leak

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:47:19 PST 2008

Randy, if you suspect the leak is from the shroud (chain plate) or if you have not rebedded the chain plates in 2-3 years, then it's time to consider doing it.  There have been numerous discussions on this list about this so I won't go on.  Do some searching on the archives for all that great advice.

I will, however, tell you that on the older hulls, mine included, the deck where the chain plates pass through is not solid fiberglass, it is cored deck (later models, I'm told, used solid resin at these points.)  That means that if your chain plate(s) leak, the balsa core in the deck will be wet as well.  When I did my rebedding, I dug-out the wet core with a bent nail in a drill motor and let it dry out for a couple of days (weather dependent.)  Then, I used a filled epoxy to seal the space between the liner and deck to prevent future wetting of the core.

There is also a product called "GetRot," I think by BoatLife Co.  I've not used this (didn't think of it at the time;) but, it is supposed to absorb the moisture in the core.

I'm guessing that if chain plates haven't been rebedded in over 5 years, one or more are probably leaking.  Look for stains around the backing plate against the liner inside, and for dark stuff around the nuts.  You don't have to see dripping water inside for there to be a problem.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay