[C320-list] GFO Packing

Karl Mielenhausen _/) c320 at suddenlink.net
Thu Jan 17 16:26:09 PST 2008

Brian,

Here is one source, you may also find it in industrial supply houses (try
those that supply pump parts):
http://www.emarineinc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html

The manual for my 2000, hull 690, indicated 3 rings of 3/16" packing (Ref
pg. 45, drawing undated), but I noticed that the newer manual calls for 2
rings of 1/4" packing (Ref Pg. 46, drawing revised 4/2/2002). So, I had
both sizes ready when I hauled.
Turns out the 1/4" worked fine even though I was skeptical about only
having 2 rings in there. I dug out 3 rings of what I suspect was 3/16"
flax packing and I used the GFO packing as the replacement. After about a
3 hr run-in period, it is virtually drip free and the gland assembly
remains cool to the touch.

As has been suggested by others, now that I have some time on the packing,
at my next haulout, I'll try to fit in another ring.

--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690