[C320-list] Source of Leak

Dave Anderer danderer at UDel.Edu
Sun Jan 27 08:44:32 PST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 10:50 PM, Jeff Hare wrote:

> I'll wager a bet that if your hatches are leaking but it doesn't
> appear to
> be the glass/gasket seal leaking that it's that external rubber seal.
>
> Call Lewmar Tech support. They already know all the tricks for
> finding/fixing/adjusting these hatches.

I sent some pictures to Lewmar and got a call back from the local rep
yesterday.  He identified the ports as "Old Standard" ports.  He felt
confident that the problem was leakage through the two horizontal
seams on the external frame.  The recommended solution was to caulk
those seams.

Looks to me like the ports have some so-so-fitting gaskets rather than
being bedded.  Lewmar said some builders do it that way, and that
probably isn't the problem.  Don't know that I'm completely convinced,
but I'll certainly try their idea first.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate email - I sent it yesterday, but am not
sure it made it out.)