[C320-list] Mainsheet and Traveler Control Lines

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 07:11:56 PST 2008

I have a 2002 320 (Hull 894) with the cam cleats on the traveler lines.  I
replaced the OEM lines with longer control lines that reach back to the
helm.  When single handing most of the time I just pick up the line on the
cockpit seat and make the adjustment.

You can rig all kinds of ways to get those lines to the helm. If you do
this, consider the esthetics, is it another trip hazard and will it get in
the way of passengers when used.  I assume that is why Catalina has the
current traveler control line setup on my boat.  When I have crew is aboard,
they generally are assigned the traveler duties.  If you are into sail
tuning, the traveler is worked often after the correct sail shape is
achieved.

Another thing to consider is if you decide to install adjustable genoa cars,
those control lines end up at the back of the dodger, if you have one, and
can get in the way of any traveler control line redo that venture around the
outside of the dodger.