[C320-list] Insurance Question

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Thu Jan 31 16:53:15 PST 2008

I bought my 2002 boat in November of 2005.  When I notified the
insurer (Boat US) of the purchase, they only wanted pictures of the
boat in water (verifying it floats, I guess) and out of water
(verifying hull integrity), along with a 'sound and seaworthy'
statement from me.  Of course I had the boat surveyed prior to the
purchase for my protection, but Boat US didn't require a copy.

I don't know if their request is extraordinary, but I've never heard
of it before.  My Dad bought a Cape Dory 28' sloop new in 1984; his
company never made such a request.  Ask them if they're paying for the
haul.  If not, they should wait until your next planned haulout or you
should find another insurance company.  FWIW, my policy is about $900/
yr (coverage, deductibles, other details on request); this also covers
my 10' Avon inflatable and 8HP Honda.

Bob Seastream
Intuition, hull 906