[C320-list] Kudos to Simrad, shame on Raymarine

Ralph Winkler ralphwink at aepro.com
Wed Jul 2 14:04:00 PDT 2008

Jon,

I've come to the conclusion that the technology evolution of electronics in
our boats is no different then it is with our pc computers, cell phones and
audio products.  The problem for us sail boaters is that to keep pace the
cost for us is probably the highest just due to lower numbers sold vs.
manufacturing costs to produce.  Understand, I'm not on RM's payroll.

Since 1990 I've lived through the transition of Autohelm/Raytheon/Raymarine,
or ST50, ST60, ST60+ and now ST70, on three boats, our C320 Wind Dancer '96
#394 was second and now a little '04 25 ft. Lobster boat in Punta Gorda, FL.
Over this time period I've had to contact their tech support for various
reasons, yours included, and have found them knowledgeable and responsive.
I did learn, the hard way, that during the America's Cup or other big scale
events the support system seems to fall into overload mode and also this is
not a good time to send in a product for "fast turn around" service.

Today, Wind Dancer has a '96 Autohelm 4000W (Drive), and GPS Navstation,
'04 - ST 60+, D/S, W, AP Brain, '05 - C80 Plotter w/ Radar and now Rudder
and they all talk to each other.  In my opinion, this is what is GREAT about
Raymarine that with 11 years of accumulated "stuff" I'm able to add/subtract
components and still have them all integrated and work together.  In the end
that has saved me extra expense of wholesale retrofits.

Unfortunately, the next bullet will be the AP drive system and a new series
is being introduced late this summer.

Ralph H. Winkler