[C320-list] mystery fix

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 7 14:41:16 PDT 2008

Jim, it seems to me that your "fix" may only be temporary. Most likely you
jostled the problem and it is only working, for now. Since there were two
devices involved, the fault may actually be in a ground (common) wire.  I
noticed while inside my own panel that the ground was shared by several
components.

The connector itself may be firmly screwed to the instrument; but, there
could be a weak connection where the wire is crimped to the connector. Be
sure you give each wire a fair tug by holding the connector and pulling the
wire. Any that are not tightly secured should be replaced. Be sure to use
only a quality connector with heat shrink and adhesive. Also, be sure the
wire is completely through the connector sleeve before crimping.

We have two C310s in our fleet and both had a problem with a wire from the
starter that powers the engine panel at the pedestal. The problem was a
poorly made crimp. One of them also had a bad crimp on the wire to the
electric fuel pump. Not a good record for Catalina.

Warren & Pattie Updke
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay