[C320-list] Bilge Float Pump Switch

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 21:35:15 PDT 2008

I don't recall the switch model, but they sell them at WM, Overton's and
Defender and I just got the correct amperage for best price since they all
seemed to spec out about the same. I looked up the pump amperage in a
catalogue.

I believe you are correct that they are threaded into a plate. The galvanic
response from stray current may easily have lead to the threads stripping
out.

I know this is going to be heresy in some quarters, but I would use J.B.Weld
for aluminum. It is simply epoxy filled with aluminum powder, but I've been
working with epoxies for decades and am impressed with their performance
when prep work is thorough. The existing threads in the hole should provide
ample purchase for a good bond if you first rinse well with white vinegar to
dissolve and remove the oxidation. Most stress vectors will be lateral on
the stanchion bolts, so a long as the old hole is not wallowed out to much
the epoxy ought to hold up pretty well.

A second suitable repair would be to drill the hole out oversize and install
a helicoil thread repair insert sized for your machine screws. Be sure
you have the correct size bit for that size helicoil.

--
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC