[C320-list] How Much Chain ?

Dave Anderer danderer at udel.edu
Fri Jul 25 05:56:53 PDT 2008

Discussing ground tackle is pretty much like discussing religion or
politics.  That said:

The right answer here depends greatly on the environment you're
anchoring in.  The best discussion on the alternatives I've seen is in
Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook.

On the Chesapeake, typically anchoring in 7' to 20' over mud, I use a
35 lb Manson Supreme, 30' of chain, and 150' of nylon.  The backup is
a Danforth, 15' chain and 150' of nylon.