[C320-list] Zinc Problem

John Ellis jr_ellis100 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 20:44:28 PDT 2008

Thanks, Larry. I'll get the gasket set from the San Diego Westerbeke dealer before I pull it all apart!> From: WindSwept at stx.rr.com> To: C320-List at Catalina320.com> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:28:59 -0500> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Zinc Problem> > John,> > I have the Westerbeke in WindSwept #246 and have had the same thing happen.> > The zinc is most likely corroded into two pieces and the remaining part is> interfering with inserting a new zinc. You need to remove the end cap off> the exchanger. It's real simple as there is a single bolt on the end that> holds the end cap on. Once the end cap is removed, you can fish out the> rest of the zinc, and you will probably find some other crap and corruption> that doesn't need to be there that you can clean out too. You should have a> new gasket set available to replace the old gaskets. The gasket set has a> flat gasket and an o-ring. Just make sure to note the location of the old> o-ring when you disassemble the end cap.> > I have also seen a build up inside the hole that the zinc slides into that> can get so bad that it is hard to get the zinc in. If this is the problem> you may need to use a small screwdriver or some other small tool to scrape> the buildup out of the hole. > > Install the new zinc before putting the end cap back on so you can make sure> it will fit okay.> > Larry> > > > -----Original Message-----> From: c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com> [mailto:c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com] On Behalf Of John Ellis> Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 11:26 PM> To: c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> Subject: [C320-list] Zinc Problem> > > > This afternoon I unscrewed the zinc in the Westerbeke heat exchanger and was> disappointed to pull out very little. The last time I checked it was in good> shape, with maybe 80% left. I think it's broken apart, since I can't push> the new zinc into its place. Since I don't have the manual for this engine,> I hesitate to start dismantling things in case they don't go back together> easily. Has anyone with a Westerbeke engine solved this problem before? Any> ideas would be very welcome.> > John> Allegro #271> > _________________________________________________________________> Keep your kids safer online with Windows Live Family Safety.> http://www.windowslive.com/family_safety/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_fam> ily_safety_072008> >