[C320-list] How Much Chain ?

catalina at thehares.com catalina at thehares.com
Tue Jul 29 08:09:28 PDT 2008

Hi Joe,

  We carry 75' of 1/4" High Test chain connected to 150' 5/8? (I think) 3
strand line.  I have an anchor swivel connected to a 35lb delta.

I would have gotten 100' of high test chain, but since we typically drop
slightly less than 100' total, this way we end up with 10-30' of rope over
the bow roller (instead of having chain still on the bow roller which can
get noisy without using a chain snubber.)

The 1/4"  high test is much stronger and lighter per foot than the stock
5/16?" chain that typically comes with the sail away package we got..

-Jeff

PS: When we were trying to figure out what to do here, we happened to be
helping some very seasoned world cruisers commission a recently purchased
C380 for a trip back to Australia.  They anchor everywhere and suggested
that we get between 75' and 100' of chain and 1-2 times that amount in
rhode.

They also said when choosing a place in a crowded anchorage to drop the
hook,  find someone with chain out, motor up behind them and drop your
anchor (almost) in their dinghy.  :)