[C320-list] Update: dripless shaft system installed today & new cutlass bearing

Wayne Strickland nadowayne at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 22:07:56 PDT 2008

Hi Jeff and all,

I decided to go with the dripless packing PYI system and had it installed today.  I apologize for saying I was going with the "gortex" packing.  Unfortunately I ordered a 2" shaft log for the PSS and the one needed is 1 3/4" as indicated by Jeff.  Another C320 Member (Dick Walker) had an extra one on his boat and he loaned it to me and the other one was sent back.  I ordered another one for Dick's boat (C320 Windwalker).   I had the job done at Shelter Island boat yard in San Diego and Joe at Viking marine did the work.  I also had the cutlass bearing replaced and the boat paint "touched up" (it was painted last year).  They had to remove the rudder and the bearing removal tool he had would not work.  He cut the bearing out with a power hack saw (sawzall).  The total bill was $942.00 and that is less than Breaking Out Another Thousand, but close enough.

Glad I got it done today and thank you for answering my questions.

I also ordered the Cranker tonight.  I had been racing on a friend's boat and reached out at a right angle and sprained my rotator cuff in my right shoulder also.  Although I did not see the Doctor like Ralph did, I believe we have the same 60ish pains from playing too hard.  It's good they have something to help us as we recover so we can still use our boats.

Thank you all for the info and glad to be a part of the C320 Association/fraternity.

Wayne Strickland
Wayne's World
1999 #594