[C320-list] Autohelm speedometer

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 17:54:56 PDT 2008

Are you saying the whole unit came out with the black network and transducer
wires on the back; or, did the face of the instrument come off the back of
the instrument?

I believe the instrument is not intended to be held in-place by glue,
although the installer may have used silicone to seal the interface.  I
think on mine, there are small black thumb wheels with a threaded rod in the
center that are used to hold the unit tightly from behind.  Perhaps yours
were lost along the way and the "glue" was an expedient.  I may even have a
couple of those screws.

My water temp too, doesn't register correctly - never did.  I recently had a
problem with intermittent operation of the speed transducer.  Since
Raymarine no longer supports the ST50 instruments I went to Airmar on the
internet and was able to purchase the paddle wheel replacement kit.  Airmar
was very helpful.  I can do without the water temp.

My ST50 Wind Instrument shows the direction just fine; but, the
apparent/true wind displays only very seldomly.  I attribute this to a bad
connection, probably at the mast/deck joint; but, have not yet done a
serious troubleshooting.

I've recently had to repair the ST4000 auto pilot wheel ring, and that was
fun.  I had to remove the clutch handle that is held on with a "roll pin" or
some call them tensioning pins.  The smallest I could find is 1/16".  I
surmise, since the unit was built by Autohelm, a British company, that the
hole size in the clutch axel is probably 1.5mm, slightly smaller than 1/1
6".  After I drilled out the hole to 1/16", the roll pin went in rather
smoothly.

Want to hear more?  Oh, the joy of owning a 15 year old sailboat.

I've accepted the fact that the auto pilot and instruments will have to be
replaced in the next 2-3 years, assured that at some point a needed ST50
part will just not be had.  I'm hoping by then the NEMA-2000 stuff will have
settled down and there will be ample choices.  The idea of a single network
cable with local drops is appealing.  The issue of connecting mast-head
transducer(s) needs more work.  I'll be watching the NEMA-2000 offerings at
the boat shows.

I get the daily e-mails from AskJackRabbit.com and find these very helpful
for following the new instrument news and other technical issues.

Warren & Pattie Updke
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay