[C320-list] C320.......air conditioning

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 19:02:43 PDT 2008

Hi John,

We also found that a 16.5k BTU reverse cycle unit does the trick here on the
south side of Lake Erie.  We experience a fair amount of days that are 90+
degrees and over 90% humidity and yet we sail early spring and late into the
fall spending many nights each season in the Western Lake Erie Islands area.

We had the AC-heat unit mounted in the port side cockpit storage locker
right behind the bread box with the 4 x 8 inch teak air exit grill into the
main cabin above the bread box with a very short insulated vent pipe so
there is not loss of air temperature from the unit to the cabin. No need for
any other venting and the unit normally runs at the lowest fan setting
automatically with periodic cycles with the air and heat easily reaching
into the V-berth while cycling into the aft cabin to the return air.

By mounting the unit in the port side cockpit locker we found that the 14
inch square intake grill was now at our feet in the aft cabin rather than
having the compressor and fan noise and draft nearer our pillows if we
mounted the unit in the starboard aft corner locker.  In addition to the
noise reduction I may continue to access the storage as well as the fuel
tank in the starboard aft corner locker when I need to draw some fuel from
the bottom of the tank every few years to cut down on the sludge build-up.

I did have the installer place a teak grill in the aft cabin door to allow
air to circulate to the intake grill.

I built a locker shelf over the unit so I retained a good amount of storage
in the port cockpit locker. We did not miss the loss of storage space in the
port side locker that was so deep and inconvenient to use since we often
stored common access items above longer term storage items that found there
way deeper in that locker and now we simply leave those items in a dock box.

Total cost ran around $3,700 for professionally installed Marine Air unit
with digital controls. Some 4 years ago Marine Air had the longest warranty
on the compressor.

The AC/Heat unit was the best creature comfort addition to the boat since we
grew tired of hauling out the 5000 BTU CruiseAir unit that was totally
inadequate.  The cabin now cools in a matter of minutes instead of hours and
even when the companion way is left open.

Only regret is that we did not install the unit when we purchased the boat.

Rick
My-Ria 277