[C320-list] Teflon tape for companionway hatch

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:31:40 PDT 2008

This Spring I pulled the sea hood.  There are molded-in elevations in the
deck under the sea hood on which the companionway cover slides when opened.
I took the opportunity to install new glide tape on the under side of the
cover so the glide tape is engaged the whole length of the slide.  What a
difference.  The cover slides like silk over a baby's butt.

Removing the sea hood is no biggie.  Just remove all the screws and pull it
back into the cockpit under the traveler.  Some people have sealed the joint
between the hood and the deck with silicon.  I think that's a personal
choice.  I did not.  I did, however squirt an ample amount of silicon into
the screw holes.  There is a space between the hood and the deck.  You need
to be sure the silicon will fill-out around the screw as it passes from hood
into the deck.

Warren & Pattie Updke
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay