[C320-list] Boat bum.

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 17:15:21 PDT 2008

All:  I often thought my lack of practice/incompetence was the major
reason for poor backing.

Adam:  My fathers Cape Dory 28 would back straight, but being a full
keel boat likely helped.

Bruce & Dick:  I've thought about the various 'reversing' blade props,
but cost has held me back, along with the occasional story about a
lost blade.

In other news, I've been sailing with my prop in reverse due to list
comments indicating the manufacturer recommends such.  Supposedly,
sailing in neutral allows excessive propshaft spinning.  However, I've
had to start the engine in reverse gear after I'm done sailing because
the boats' forward momentum creates pressure on the prop making it
hard enough to shift to neutral before starting that I'm concerned
about damaging the linkage between the helm and engine.  Thoughts?

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906

Robert Seastream writes about poor Reversing.
My circumstances mean that I must reverse into a tight marine pen
(slip).
The Kiwi Feathering Prop really does deliver positive and immediate
thrust,
with little or no Prop walk.
I am sure there are other props that do this too, but not a factory
fitted
fixed 3 blader.
Cheers
Bruce Stanley