[C320-list] New Boat knocking noise

Jerry Brown jbrown03 at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 21 04:28:45 PDT 2008

Suggestions Please

Our new 320 is sitting at the dealer.  From the day of commissioning there
has been a loud knocking sound from the stern whenever the boat is motored
over about 2300 revs - we were told it would "settle down".  In two hours of
motoring from the dealer premises to our club the engine moved on the mounts
sufficiently that it jammed the engine cover which was free when we left (I
checked the oil before leaving).

Initially the dealer "blamed" the Kiwi Prop that I supplied, and he
installed.  He realigned the engine and told me to take the prop off and
reinstall the standard two blader.  While still tied to the dock we tried
the realigned engine (still fitted with the Kiwi Prop) as I was reluctant to
move the boat for fear of doing more damage.  The dealer also dove under the
boat to check that the prop was not fouled and that the blades were free.
In that test the engine was moving around sufficiently to open up the
stuffing box under load.  The dealer then thought that the initial motoring
and engine movement might have bent the propshaft.  The dealer then arranged
to have the boat moved (with minimal motoring) back to his premises.  The
Kiwi Prop was removed and the shaft and coupling sent to a machine shop for
checking.  With the boat out of the water it was clear that the shaft was
not aligned.

The machine shop confirmed that the shaft and coupling are true.  The
standard prop was then installed, the engine again realigned (the mechanic
is getting lots of practice) and the boat put back in the water with
assurances that all would now be good.  The opposite is true.  At 2300 revs
the noise is more persistent and louder than with the Kiwi Prop.  A
subsequent test by the mechanics with the engine covers off lead them to say
that, at the point where the noise starts, the motor can be seen to "move"
sideways visually.  Another symptom is that when the engine is throttled
back,  a relatively low frequency vibration passes through the hull which
can be easily felt at the wheel.  The boat almost seems to be "shaking it's
hips"  There are no abnormal engine noises etc, no black smoke or any other
signs of engine problems.  It is smooth at idle and when revved in neutral.

Having confirmed that this is not a Kiwi Prop problem (i.e. my problem from
the dealers perspective) the dealers' next suggestion is that possibly the
wrong engine mounting rubber blocks were installed from new.  That seems a
possibility, but a pretty remote one.  I would welcome other theories as our
season is rapidly disappearing.

Jerry Brown
#1137 Indigo