[C320-list] Departing/Docking in High Wind

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 06:18:28 PDT 2008

I wish I could show you how to do this as it is far harder to describe in a
way that accounts for most variations than it is to show and tell. Our
favorite port of call here in NC is Ocracoke Island. When we don't anchor,
we prefer tying up at the Anchorage Inn Marina. That has a 45' fairway and
typically 25+ knot crosswinds. To add to the fun, the only accees to the
island is by boat, ferry or airplane and the ferry's docking creates major
currents across the wind.

I begin by backing down the fairway into the wind, it only takes a bit more
than a knot of speed to control the boat and by backing down the fairway you
don't have that long moment for the wind to take control while the boat is
immobile as it is changing directions. You also get a better sense of
control under the conditions than by swinging the boat and reversing.

I always aim to hit the windward piling on the downwind side. If that is
where you aim, the wind will make you miss, but you will be close enough for
your crew to get a line on the piling and take a turn on the midship cleat.
Our 110# Admiral can hold our 320 in these winds by the friction of the line
on the horn of the midship cleat, it is not a strength thing, it is
technique.

Pick up the piling from the stern and walk the line to the midship cleat.
Judicious playing of the line will help keep the boat pivoting close to the
windward piling. Never pull hard on the line as that will screw up your
driving by altering the balance of the forces on the keel and rudder. As the
middle of the boat passes the piling walk the line to the bow. If your crew
is good, this is a good time to drop a spring line on the piling while it is
still close and by this time you should basically have it made.

By the time the cockpit bulkhead passes the outer piling you should be able
to ease the throttle, take it out of gear and put in forward idle. Do not
let your crew try to stop the boat with the bow lines as that will swing the
stern unpedictably. With a factory three-bladed prop, I can come to dead
stop from 2 knots in reverse in under five feet.

As for leaving, if you have a windward outer piling use a spring to the
midship cleat to pivot off and hold you off the downwind neighbor. If you
are trying to leave a side tie with an onshore wind, Use a spring running
from a point on the dock off the bow. Loop the line so that it can run free
as you leave. Take a turn on the stern cleat, put the engine in reverse and
turn the rudder to port for a portside tieup and to starboard for a
starboard tieup. Throttle up and the boat will walk out sideways enough
to let you throw her into forward and get enough control to miss the boat in
front of you.

Practice these skills in no wind until you can do it with your eyes closed,
then more wind until they become second nature. I also have a 5/8 panic line
tied from the dock to the outer piling between me and my neighbor in my home
slip. It is a great comfort and a practical tool for controlling the boat on
those inevitable occasions when things go wrong.

--
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC