[C320-list] engine overheating

Matt Curtis mcurtis_6775 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 06:47:57 PDT 2008

I checked the pump and replaced the o-ring just to be safe.  It is a 3GM30 European model using the Johnson water pump.  The pump seemed to be OK.  I guess if there was enough back pressure because of a blockage somewhere downline, the water could spray out from one of the hose connections of the pump seal.

  I figure I will check the vented loop for a blockage, check the exhaust elbow for a blockage, and then check the heat exchanger for the same.  I suppose cleaning out each of these is not a bad idea.  I just ordered a replacement exhaust elbor from Torrenson in case the one there turns out to be crap.

  -Matt

Tony Kalish <mapmanMD at Verizon.net> wrote:
  I had the seal in the raw water pump begin to leak this year. 10th season
on the pump. Maybe with the water leaking in the area of the forward engine
cover this might be the problem.. If the seal is worn, maybe the pump isn't
producing enough volume of sea water to cool down engine. Is engine
anti-freeze OK?
Tony
Getting Away 617