[C320-list] Reversing can be easier

Wed Jun 25 11:08:13 PDT 2008

For some of the lazy folks who don't like to sail unless they go over 5kn, a folder is perfect because it allows you to keep speed at lower wind speeds
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: catalina
Sent: 06/25/2008 11:04 AM
To: C320-List at Catalina320.com
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Reversing can be easier

Not to get into folding/feathering vs fixed prop debate, but here's what
we noticed.   Wing keel/135 genoa/full main/gori-3 blade folding.

With winds above 10 kts, we mostly notice a change in the boat's
acceleration.  Our rig isn't very well tuned to heavy air at the moment.

Below 10kts, the difference can be pretty dramatic.  This past weekend, we
easily sailed between ~4.5-5kts in 8-10kts of wind on a close reach with
less than 1 foot seas.  Frequently our headway speed was at around half
the TRUE wind speed.

I define "easily" by running up the laundry and only having to mess with
it every 10 minutes or so.

With our 3 blade fixed, we would be lucky to reach 4kts in any those wind
conditions and only if we kept on top of the sail trim.

If there were big swells or bumpy conditions, we'd never bother to sail in
winds below 8kts because we'd only make a couple knots headway and the
sails would bang around.

Another interesting side effect is that the helm feels lighter (wonder if
it's the turbulence around the rudder that the fixed prop created?)

-Jeff