[C320-list] New Boat knocking noise

Jerry Brown jbrown03 at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 27 06:01:18 PDT 2008

Hi Bill

I suggest that your dealer contact Gerry Douglas.  My dealer has still
failed to find a resolution and has been in detailed discussions with Gerry
Douglas.  As of yesterday Catalina was air freighting parts to Toronto to
replace the driveshaft and coupling.  My dealer had planned to use the shaft
and coupling from a stock 320 he had at a satellite location, when the boat
arrived (on water) it was found that the shaft and coupling were even more
heavily marked than mine so they were not used.  I do not know the hull
number of that boat.  My dealer is now talking about "honing" glass out of
the tunnel as it looks like their was either insufficient clearance at build
or more likely there is an alignment problem built into the hull.  I am very
uncomfortable about the idea of shaving away fibreglass to create a straight
path, despite assurances that there is "plenty of material there so it will
not create a structural problem".  A lot of effort goes into protecting the
hull fibreglass from water intrusion such as Interprotect so cutting into
the glass would seem to me to create an obvious point where osmosis can
start, yet the dealer has no solution as to how he would effectively protect
the glass once "honed" given the location and small spaces.  That will be a
discussion for today as I may not be understanding something.

It sounds like there is pretty fundamental production quality issue which
may be spread across a number of boats.

I would welcome comments from other list members about the idea of "honing"
the tunnel by cutting into the gel coat/glass and the possible implications
on the future life of the boat.

Regards

Jerry Brown
Indigo #1137