[C320-list] 155 vs. 135

Amirault Family - S&B amiraults at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 5 15:49:05 PST 2008

Sam:

My non-race crew is 5 feet tall and lacks upper body strength. She has found
the 155% to be a handful. We have ordered a higher cut 135% from Doyle for
spring delivery.  This size was selected after talking to the local sail
makers reps. It is claimed by size to be a much more easily handled sail,
which can take considerable furling before losing meaningful shape. It is
thus hoped that when the wind is across the river she can take advantage of
the full sail size, and when the wind is down river that we can still make
useful progress with it furled in to a point where she can handle it
readily.

Doyle got the nod  solely due to its apparent better value for the price
being asked.

Of course having the crew take the wheel would be a solution if she were
willing. It also will not hurt JAM race participation that we have a smaller
alternate headsail to fly on more blustery race nights.

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too