[C320-list] What Comes with base boat price

Dennis Harris dharris02 at embarqmail.com
Fri Mar 7 14:47:37 PST 2008

    For someone purchasing a new Catalina, go to Catalina's website and
download the brochure and equipment list.  This should give you a good
idea of what is standard and what items are optional, some of which you
might want and some that you would exclude.  In general, I thought my
base boat was fairly well equipped.....and if you want lots of bells and
gadgets, there is a reasonably good list.  Then go to various
dealers...more is better...and get them to give you a price for base
boat plus commissioning plus the gadgets/options you want.  Spell out
exactly what transportation costs and commissioning costs include. After
they give you the suggested retail, then bargain on the price.  Get a
price on a straight sale initially.  Then, get figures with your old
boat as a trade-in.  Check out competitive boats also (Beneteau and
Hunter) to see what is best value for you. It'll be obvious who is doing
a number.  Also, get dealer to give you some reference names of other
people who bought from him....he might not do this and this tells you a lot.

    When I bought my 2000 model (# 694) new....ordered in May 1999, I
was at first looking at a used C320 that dealer had in stock.  The
dealer told me that he could sell me a new one similarly equipped for
not too much more.  I looked at his figures and went with the new boat.
 I'm glad I did.  In general, dealer did exactly what he said he would
do.  The only curve ball (maybe it wasn't a curve ball) was that the
dealer informed me that the construction date/delivery would result in
the boat being a 2000 model instead of a new 1999, but the cost would be
5% more because of the later model.  My reply was for him to go to
Catalina and see if they wanted to make one more at the 1999 price
....if not, the deal was off.  He delivered the boat at the originally
agreed price and I have been very happy with it.

p.s.....there are a lot of very good used boats out there, and your
search might reveal the best buy in your case as being a good, slightly
used, well cared for boat.   Go for whichever is best for you.

Dennis Harris C320 #694