[C320-list] Refinishing the cabin sole

Karl Mielenhausen _/) c320 at suddenlink.net
Wed Mar 5 07:52:38 PST 2008

Larry,

Your boat probably had Oxford II acrylic water-based varnish (Target
Coatings) on all the interior wood surfaces, satin finish on the sole. The
product Catalina is using now is the 7000 series Hybrid varnish, still a
water-based product. See the Target Coatings website for more details.
Their woodworking forums make great reading.
Jeff Weiss, their technical guru, tells me that the Oxford II can easily
be recoated with the new 7000 series. Clean and sand lightly, remove all
dust with a water moistened cloth (not a solvent based tack cloth). One
trick that refinshers use on small dents is to fill with superglue or
build the dent up with several layers of the finish lacquer.
Do you intend on removing all the sole pieces and spray applying the
finish?

Karl Mielenhausen

--
Karl Mielenhausen