[C320-list] Lewmar Wheel - was Pedestal ICOM command mike

Allan S. Field allan.field at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 17:55:23 PST 2008

Bruce - I tried 2 different Lewmar wheels.  The first one broke at the spoke
welds at the hub.  Lewmar recognized a production problem, reengineered the
thing, and sent me a new one.  That one was too flimsy at the joints.  When
I pulled on the wheel to stand up, I always felt like the thing was going to
break; there was just way too much wiggle at the joints.  Plus it was very
hard to install.  In fact, I needed a prop puller to get it off.  At that
point, it was 2 strikes and you are out.  However...I sailed with Orlando on
Sunday, he has the Lewmar wheel on Cuba Libre 3, and it felt very solid and
secure.  Had either one of mine felt like his, I would still have one.  As
it is, I went back to the original wheel.

I think the main reason I didn't let Lewmar ship a 3rd wheel is that they
tried very hard to get out of standing behind the 2nd wheel.  It was quite
an effort to get them to take it back then I waited months for the return
check and only got that after several phone calls.  All in all, a bad
experience.  The concept is sound but at the time I bought, I just don't
think the kinks were worked out; I say that based on my experience with
Orlando on Sunday.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD