[C320-list] Dutchman system

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sat Mar 15 07:50:22 PDT 2008

Thanks to all who replied.  A bit of clarification:

Dutchman recommends the "A" system for any boat that has a halyard style
topping lift.  Catalina installs the B system instead.  I'm switching to
the A system (i.e. the one with a single topping lift line instead of an
adjustable continuous loop topping lift).

I haven't heard anyone say they are using a 3 line system on a 320.
That's really what I was asking about.  My sailmaker says that the 320
is in the overlap between the recommended ranges for 2 vs 3 nylon lines
per specs from Dutchman.  (These specs do not seem to be available on
their website except through a password protected section available only
to sailmakers.)

My sailmaker says that in order to avoid interference with spreader
tips, both lines of a two line system have to be placed fairly far aft,
leaving less control over the top of the sail as it descends.  He says
that with a 3 line system the third line can be placed fairly far
forward to solve this problem.  There is apparently a zone corresponding
to where the sail contacts the spreader tips where you do not want to
have any control lines, but the third line can go forward of this.  So
he's recommending the 3 line system.

I'm inclined to stick with two lines.  It's true that the top of the
sail does not self-flake with this system and that the forward part of
the folds sometimes needs a bit of cleaning up before the sail cover
goes on.  But these are minor nuisances at most.

By the way, I've learned that if you replace your main and purchase a
new Dutchman system you can get a credit from Dutchman against their
royalty fee (charged by the sailmaker) simply by having the sailmaker
return the old Dutchman pockets.