[C320-list] Knot Meter Replacement

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Fri Mar 21 06:57:29 PDT 2008

I would contact RayMarine directly.  I've found them to be really helpful,
but then, I usually just drop in and ask in person... :)
They're in Manchester, NH these days. (603) 881 5200

One thing to do while the boat is out, turn on the instruments and have
someone at the helm watching to see if you can get any signs of life while
you spray a hose on the wheel and spin it (spin it the right direction, and
make sure that you've installed it facing the right direction.  (There's an
arrow that should point to the bow molded on the top of the speedo unit.)

If you get no signs of life there, there are four likely possibilities:

1) There is a break in the wires probably right where they connect to the
paddle-wheel unit.
2) The transducer connection into the ST speed unit is loose or corroded.
Sometimes unplugging and reconnecting a couple times helps there.
3) The transducer's hall-effect sensor bit the bullet and it's not detecting
the magnets in the paddle wheel passing by.
4) The ST speed unit control head has been damaged or has become
uncalibrated.

If you have anyone power-washing your boat, be sure your knot meter is out
first though, because this could damage the wheel.

Just a few thoughts.
-Jeff