[C320-list] to launch or not

Sun Mar 23 16:32:21 PDT 2008

If you have bubbler to keep ice out of your slip and a cover, what's the issue with keeping a boat in the water all year-around...I take my boat out every 3 years for bottom paint, otherwise it's in the water for 36 months....is that a perceived problem with northeast, northern folks?
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: "Jon Vez" [jonvez at comcast.net]
Sent: 03/23/2008 03:07 PM
To: <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] to launch or not

Hi Jim,

Leaving the boat in the water will definitely be better for the boat. When
on the hard the boat will flex and the mast will create additional stress
that water naturally dissipates. If the marina is willing to keep an eye on
the boat (bilge, dock lines, fenders etc) that would definitely be the way
to go. I'm in Boston and chose to leave the boat in the water for the
winter. A lot of folks do that around here, but I always chickened out. I'm
so glad I did and will probably do so every other season from now on. I will
haul it for a long weekend once the yard is done launching the boats for a
bottom job and waxing, but the boat is much happier in her natural state--

Good luck,

Regards,

Jon Vez
Solstice #582