[C320-list] Longitude Lattitude Garmin

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Wed May 7 07:34:44 PDT 2008

The Garmin undoubtably knows where it is.  The problem as you have found
is with how to describe this to the rest of the world, and whether the
rest of the world is in the right place.

Display issues:  My older Garmin let's you switch between many display
modes, including degrees, degrees & minutes, or degrees & minutes &
seconds.  In each case the last item will be expressed in decimals.  So
if you are in the first mode you get decimal degrees only, while in the
last one you get integer degrees and minutes, but the seconds are decimal.

Another issue is the map "datum" setting.  There is more than one system
for measuring latitude and longitude (and altitude) in use, and if the
one that your GPS is using to display location is different from the
chart then they won't agree, even if your location is displayed very
precisely.  "WGS 84" is the map datum used on most U.S. charts, and is
the default in most GPS units I believe.  Check the setup pages on your
unit to make sure it is set to this.

Real world issues:  A number of channel markers on charts are not
indicated in their actual location.  One of the sailing magazines
published an article a few years ago that was basically a list of horror
stories for how you could end up on a reef if you blindly assumed that
chart locations (whether paper or in a chart plotter) for actual
obstacles were as accurate as your GPS.  In the early days of plotting
GPS devices, a  lot of people complained that they weren't accurate
because they would show, for example, a fixed marker as being somewhere
else when your boat was right next to it.  Or show you driving parallel
to, but not on, a country highway.  Such problems were universally
problems with the underlying chart data, and not with the GPS position
information.  There's one such marker a few miles from my house that's
off by about 1/2 mile on the charts, even on recent charts.

On the other hand, with Google Earth you can get pretty accurate
information from aerial photography.  I can see my mooring ball on
Google Earth and the Lat/Lon displayed matches what I get on the GPS for
all but the last displayed decimal point.

Which reminds me of a question:  How many 320s are visible on Google
Earth?  I'm pretty sure you can see my boat on the hard from last winter
here:   38° 57.645'N,  76° 28.868'W