[C320-list] Muffler

brer at adelphia.net brer at adelphia.net
Wed May 7 20:20:52 PDT 2008

Thanks David, I think I will try a fiberglass repair, the float idea sounds like a good thing to try. I'll bet your right the vibration is a factor. Thanks again.  Don #165

---- David Gleason <djgleason1 at juno.com> wrote:

=============
Don, welcome to the C320 muffler matrix.  I have had to repair our
muffler three (3) times.  Each time it is leaking along the base of the
muffler.  Your problem is the first I have seen where it is leaking
around the inlet.  I would suggest placing a layer of glass cloth on the
inside of the inlet and seeing how that works.  I would also remove the
three screws that hold the muffler in place.  What I believe happens is
that the inlet hose from the engine is too short and any vibration in the
engine at low RPM is transferred to the muffler.  In my case, it caused
cracks where it was secured to the hull.  In your case, the weakest point
was the inlet fitting.  By allowing the muffler to float, the stress is
relieved.  Possibly adding a thin layer of rubber under the muffler would
also prevent any wear on the base.

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150