[C320-list] Anyone interested in Rudder Reference Sensor and brackets?

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Wed May 14 07:44:32 PDT 2008

Dave,
   On my 320 without the sensor I wondered the same thing. Now on my new boat with the sensor I like it for 2 reasons. I'm assuming the 4000 displays rudder info even when not engaged as my 6000 does. First it helps me when going in and out of the marina or mooring especially when things don't go perfectly and a lot of wheel spinning is involved because if I get confused a quick glance will tell me where my rudder is. Second when sailing with Auto engaged I can tweak the sails and watch the rudder degrees fall closer to zero to sail more efficiently even with hydraulic steering that gives me no feedback. Just another sometimes useful tool in the bag for me.
Stan
formerly #656 "Christy Leigh"

>>> Dave Anderer <danderer at udel.edu> 5/14/2008 10:15 AM >>>
This may sound stupid, but that has never stopped me before..
I've seen a number of references to the rudder sensor solving 'the
problem' over the last couple years, but have missed just what the
problem solved is.  I'm guessing it may be installation-specific.
In my case, I've been pleased with the ST4000 w/o the sensor.  Under
power it tracks right on course w/o hunting.  It does a fairly decent
job under sail (though I rarely use it then).  Now the one place it
falls down is trying the 'auto-tack' under sail, but that isn't a big
deal for me.
Would I see any benefit from a rudder sensor?