[C320-list] Things that work: GFO Packing, Main Sail Reefing Blocks, Kiwi Feathering Prop

catalina at thehares.com catalina at thehares.com
Wed May 21 14:56:26 PDT 2008

> The GFO is alleged to be dripless  and I can attest to this. Like all
> else on a C320, working on the stuffing box is far easier than any
> aft-of-engine maintenance on the previous Tanzer 8.5. The difficult part
> of the exercise was the removal of two layers of the previous packing
> which apparently was a cloth material containing a waxy substance. Once
> the cup of the fitting was cleaned and a determination made that there
> was no scoring of the shaft I was able to fit three layers of GFO in
> place. The fitting was then firmly hand tightened-down and left. Now
> having been used at 2400 rpm I can confirm no drips.
>
> The only nagging doubt is that the fitting becomes quite warm; making me
> wonder if I have left the fitting too tight. It is not uncomfortably hot
> but it still causes second guessing. I would appreciate comments.

If it's not just mildly warm after an extended period of motoring, then
you can loosen it until it starts to drip then hand snug it until it stops.
It doesn't need much more than a little snug by hand, then snug the lock
nut with a pair of wrenches.  NOT TOO TIGHT because it can be hell to get
them apart for adjusting in the future.  (again, requiring more hands and
adult language)

> The reefing blocks proved an inexpensive, easily installed addition which
> seems to eliminate the reef lines fouling each other as they are now on
> opposite sides of the boom. Installation would have been easier in no
> wind.
>
> The only delay was with the cringle for the forward lower block. This
> cringle proved smaller than the other three, and the block shackle would
> not fit through it, causing a successful hunt in the parts box for a
> substitute. The operation is very smooth.

For this forward block, I simply made a tiny loop (about 4" across) out
of 5/16" of a piece of StaySet-X.  Simply tied a secure knot to make the
loop.

Poke the loop through the cringle, and hook the block's shackle
through that loop.  The knot keeps the line from pulling out since the
cringle is barely big enough for the loop to pass through.  The block
hangs very nicely from the loop.

It's worked for us for 4 seasons now and we've reefed alot in
the past couple years with some pretty high winds.

The aft cringle is too large for the loop of rope/knot trick, so I just
used the SS ring trick and attached the block to it.

-Jeff Hare