[C320-list] ST 4000 autohelm problem

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 16:47:14 PDT 2008

Interestingly, the reason the ST4000 servo motor runs on power-up is to
insure that the position of the belt is changed to prevent a memory of
position.

If the wheel break was on at power-up AND the clutch was engaged, the motor
would not turn creating a large power draw that could cause a breaker trip
or something like that.  I never leave my autopilot clutch engaged when not
in use.