[C320-list] Chartplotter Internal Battery

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 17:49:10 PDT 2008

I had/have the same experience with my Garmin 48.  The first time about 3
years ago, I sent it back and they replaced the unit copying my data to the
new unit.  The first time I pulled it out this spring I found the same
"Memory Battery" message.  I didn't call Garmin but went to their web site
where I found that the G-48 is no longer serviced.  I bought a Garmin GPSMap
76Cx on Amazon.

However, being the inveterate tinkerer, I opened the case on the 48: remove
the antenna, batteries, and the black vinyl/rubber water cap that wraps over
the top.  Then, g-e-n-t-l-y pry the case apart at the seam that runs all
around the unit.  It is apparently sealed with some sort of product that
leaves no residue.  The back cover can be unplugged from the system board
(remember the orientation of the wires as the plus has no polarity.)  The
3V, 1.5mAh Panasonic lithium battery is attached to the case in the cavity
at the top.  The hardest part is prying the contacts off the battery case.
It seems they are spot welded.  I attached the contacts to the battery with
small strips of duct tape then wrapped the battery with a single piece of
duct tape and reassembled.  Worked like a charm.  I will eventually re-seal
the case and keep it as a backup or give it to a grandkid.

The Garmin GPSMap 76Cx is a nice unit and uses the same external power/data
connector as the 48.  Plus there is a USB connection for a computer.  There
are many more features and it is much much faster and more accurate.  The
only downside relative to the 48 is there is no builtin database of marine
nav aids.  Garmin owns BlueChart and so if you want graphic charts with
navaids you can purchase them from Garmin.

The US BlueCharts are by region as defined by Garmin.  The price starts at
about $100 for a single region on a MicroSD chip and about $165 for the CD
of all regions with one region unlocked.  I'm going to see how I like the
unit without navaids.  I mainly use my waypoints, a chart book, and my eyes.
Haven't felt the need for elec charting on the Chesapeake Bay.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay