[C320-list] Blue Water Sailing

Bill Sloane southsoundbill at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 18:07:40 PST 2008

I bought the magazine today and read it.  The author didn't like the open
transom because he could install a wind vane self steering rudder. He didn't
like the V berth or the rear berth. He didn't like the lazaret in the
cockpit because it is not waterproof.  He installed his own Raymarine
auto-pilot, it was not factory installed. It broke in the first few days.
What he was surprised by is that in heavy seas with just a small piece of
the jib exposed, the Catalina 320 self steers itself well in the 'hove-to'
rig set-up.

All I can say is that for where I live on the Puget Sound in Washington
State, my 320 is an absolutely perfect boat for what I enjoy about sailing.
A responsive day sailor, I can race when I want, as long as I don't care
about winning, and I can cruise in it for extended periods in comfort.  I
actually like the rear berth as it fits my wife and I well with good
headroom, and we don't run the engine at night. I would like a North 3DR
headsail to go faster, but that probably will not happen. I am buying a
Raymarine Smart Pilot Auto Pilot just as soon as Raymarine works out the
software glitches this unit currently has.  For now, I love my Catalina 320
and if at some later point in my life, I become a blue water sailor, I guess
I will have to sell my 320 and buy some type of BlueWater boat . . . . .

Bill Sloane
'Endless Summer'  No. 554
Olympia Washington