[C320-list] Blue Water Sailing--self steering

Chef Adam Weiner esquirecatering at rcn.com
Sun Nov 16 09:27:34 PST 2008

Regarding the scoop transom and wind vanes:

There is a company in Vancouver, Canada which specializes in wind vanes for
scoop transom boats.  They have been at the last few Strictly Sail shows in
San Francisco.  The interesting thing about this unit is it also can act as
a second rudder (steered like a tiller boat) so it covers the offshore
racing rule requirements of having an emergency rudder system.

By the way, just to clarify, the 320 does not have an open transom.  We have
a cutaway in the transom.  An open transom is something like on the SYDNEY
boats and other serious race boats where basically the back of the boat is
completely open to seas and the only thing across the back of the boat (and
sometimes not even that) is a set of lifelines.

Adam